Last April I posted about Gregory K.'s month-long celebration of childrens' poetry. (Coincidentally, I shared a little Haiku there) This year, he is at it again! Go visit his 30 Poets/30 Days. The poems are not just fun for children. My favorites so far: Praying Mantis, Dancing Fingers, Ch-ch-ch-check, Please,and Move Out.
Gregory K. introduced me (so to speak) to Miss Rumphius. Her Reverso challenge results just blow me away. I don't think I can make any sense upside down, but these poets do.
Last year, Earthgirl wanted a short dress she could wear over leggings. We found Simplicity 3546, and made this dress.
I learned a few lessons about the pattern from the first version. Earthgirl is slender, so I cut the pattern about a size 8-10 length with size 6-7 width. Even so, the dress is plenty wide, and the neckline is too low and wide. She must always wear a little cami under the mini-dress. Nevertheless, we love it. In fact, some of this fabric made it's way into her lapquilt stack.
Then we made a sleeveless version for Easter/Piano Recital. (It looks even better ironed. )
This time we pulled the dress in even a little slimmer, and cut the neck higher. I also decided to line the whole dress, preventing a whole year of sighs and whines about wearing a slip. One problem I encountered was that making the neckline that small, with no opening, makes for a tight fit pulling the dress over her head. If I make this neckline again, I'll make a little slit in back to be fastened with a loop and button.
The other tricky part of using this fabric is placing the flowers nicely. The dress just looks better with a centered flower on front bodice. The back bodice does not look as nice. I'm glad I had cut it out first and noticed that fact. A year later, this dress still fits.
This year, I made the slit-neck version for Cousin's wedding/Easter/Piano Recital/maybe other Cousin's wedding, too (we are experiencing a rash of Earthgirl's grown-up cousins getting married. We love it!)
If Earthgirl had a hat like her friend, she wouldn't squint :)
Earthgirl wanted non-gathered cap sleeves for this one, so I folded up the long-sleeve pattern piece. After fiddling with last year's big flowers, I did not want that kind of situation again, but it turned out this fabric presented the same problem - there are some big flowers on it that can look kind of funny if placed badly on the front bodice. I fiddled and wiggled pattern pieces to get the top bodice pieces to have mostly the smaller motifs.
I still want to make the version with longer ruffle-edge sleeves, maybe in winter colors next fall. This has been a fun pattern. It really gets the creative juices flowing for us. We are not the only ones - check out what Creative Chicks did with this pattern.