Thursday, August 27, 2009

Chain-stitching

I had such fun teaching our American Girls club a few crochetting skills last week. (See 2 posts down from here.) We just worked at learning to chain stitch last week. Most of the girls wanted to take their chain stitch samples home. I was delighted at how hard they all worked to learn this new skill. The hardest part to learn? Tying a slip knot at the beginning!

We used Lily Sugar and Cream cotton yarn, and I love it. It's on sale at JoAnn's this week.



Earthgirl gave her sample to her friend who missed out with a broken finger. She's wearing it as a choker. (If you click on the picture, you can see through the glass one of the brothers waiting patiently out in the hall.) Other girls wore them as belts or bracelets. One Mom told me that her daughter went home and chain-stitched an ankle bracelet using a fork!

During home practice with Earthgirl, I made a really long chain, tied the ends, quadrupled it up, and now use it as a headband. It's been a hot summer, and my hair is too short to clip up off my neck, so I have lived in headbands.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the headband. I loved crafts as a child and have fond memories of different adults who taught us. You are creating a life time of memories for these girls.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...