Friday, June 26, 2009

Recipe Box

Somewhere along the way, my Mama picked up a big wood file box that held 4 x 8 cards, and began using it as her recipe box. It was so much more convenient using the bigger cards. When I was still in my 20's, she had the box copied by a woodworker, then she painted it with Pennsylvania Dutch-style decorative painting, and gave it to me. What a treasure!


No, I don't keep the recipe box on the back porch; I just moved where I could take a picture with no flash. Look how much it can hold! Though I love the online recipe sites, there is just something special about recipes in a box.


I have always been partial to pictures of bluebirds, and any other birds that are blue. There is a special name for these stylized birds. Do you know what it is?


Since I am posting about my recipe box, maybe I should post an easy recipe from it. This one may have come originally from a can of Rotel tomatoes.

SANTA FE SALMON or CHICKEN

1 can Rotel tomatoes with chiles, lime & cilantro
1/2 cup mayonnaise

4 salmon fillets or chicken breast fillets


Drain tomatoes, mix with mayo. Salmon - Smear mixture on meat side, saute (or I oven bake) until done (just a few minutes) Chicken - Pre-saute fillets, then smear with mixture and complete cooking. Reserve some sauce for topping.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a treasure your recipe box is. Thanks so much for the great sounding recipe too. I hope you all are enjoying the weekend.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...